Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Trust me... It Explodes!


- Langston Hughes
What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

I know Langston wasn’t asking for my opinion, but my vote goes to the explode option. I think a dream deferred gets pissed off and then comes gunning for you like a rabid dog or a wayward crack head looking for a jones. I know this because I am a married, gainfully employed, thirty-three year old woman on the verge of quitting my job in the middle of the worst recession of my lifetime, just to pursue a dream. To make matters more interesting, I’m leaving behind my supportive and perfectly good husband, (who is cute enough to find another wife) all in the name of a dream. Further, I’m cleaning out my 401K to do it!

Before you ask, let me intervene with a few answers… No, I’m not dying. No, I’m not getting a divorce and running away with a Spanish bullfighter named Alejandro or Diego. And last but not least, no, I’m not trying to escape the threat of imprisonment…. Not technically. Although, it’s not the jail bars and tossing salads kind of prison most think of, I’m definitely running from an imprisonment of my own making: my imagination.

When I was kid I use to imagine a life of constant travel and exploration; new experiences, smells, challenges and languages to conquer. Of course, in my imagination, everything was played out on the set of Sweet Valley High, but I digress. The point I’m trying to make is that I’ve been making bucket lists since before I can remember and international travel has always been at the top.

Now that I’m an adult, my left brain recognizes that it’s not always deemed “appropriate” to indulge my imagination. As a matter of fact, you could end up being committed for it! Unfortunately, no one told that to a dream deferred. It’s pissed and the detonation of its anger has manifested in nearly every area of my life!  It has hounded me in my sleep, teased me in the confines of my cubicle and spit in my face with every book, blog or song about someone else conquering their dream.  

Thankfully, I have a tendency to be inappropriate at times and this is such a time…

This summer, I am setting off on solo, ‘round the world (RTW), backpacking trip to and through thirty-three countries. I’m knocking things off that never ending bucket list and finding out what happens in a dream preferred. This blog is my way of sharing my experience and thoughts with my family and friends and a method for reaching out to other like minded individuals.

With that said…..

            Welcome to the ride.



6 comments:

  1. I'm strapping myself in! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most impressive!!!!!!!!! I'm lovingly "green with envy."
    Consider the "source" of the naysayers before considering the comments.
    All the very best. GOD BLESS.
    XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations and thanks for stopping by my blog. I look forward to reading about your adventures. How long will you be gone?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Monica! I'll be gone for 8-months. Your blog helped inspire this trip, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete